[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Defining intermediary liability in Kenya

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Oct 3 06:03:03 EAT 2012

Grace and all

A good piece on intermediary liability. I look forward to the discussions next week.

This is a touchy area which in my opinion remains undefined and subject to interpretations depending on what side of the fence you find yourself.

For example it is a known fact that the US Government periodically asks Google and other search engines to provide search histories of known Pedophiles. Is this a violation of one's privacy? Or can we argue that the Government is justified in this particular case?

How about the fact that known and well established global companies/Brands like Amazon and PayPal were used to blunt the bite of wikileaks by denying it the use of its domain and payment systems? This is a clear case of the US Government coercing these companies to do something that doesn't pass muster in the name of 'National Security'.

As a country where do we draw the line? At what point do we say this is for the good of the community and quash personal freedoms? Do our ideas of personal freedoms and the good of the community equate to the western value system? These are weighty questions that we as a society must address. And now.

The ongoing cases of two bloggers charged with various offenses will be instrumental. The judiciary is faced with a situation of monumental delicateness and import. We do hope that they will treat it with the weightiness it deserves.

I look forward to Wednesday's breakfast discussions.

Ali Hussein

+254 773/713 601113

Sent from my iPad