[kictanet] Taking Care of the Future

Andy G andy.gesora at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 08:18:42 EAT 2012

+1 Bitange.

I will only focus on additive manufacturing and the role of 3D printing.

2 weeks ago, for the first time i was able to read an inflight magazine
(you can google Holland Herald) from cover to cover without the need of
asking for whisky from the hostesses. For those who may have flown KLM last
month, the inflight magazine, aka "The Tech Issue" focussed mainly on
technology in the netherlands. From travel website that made by three
20something teenagers raised over $10,000,000 so fast to the really eye
catching one...... 3D printing...

The dutch and belgians have used additive manufacturing for over 20 year
and they have refined the process. In 4-5 hours the dutch are able to print
out a completely new titanium jawbone or even hip replacements, complete
with all the grooves and curvatures to take care of nerves, veins, name
it......

We will need to leverage on this new technologies in order to make the
strides we are looking at. I remember a Ugandan on the same flight telling
me that if he had enough capital he would move to Mombasa, set up a plant
complete with additive manufacturing capabilities and start producing spare
parts (read lights and bumpers) fro all these toyotas in east africa. Sharp
idea or not, i thought this could make him a millionaire overnight. if we
are to really improve our country we will need to have "new" technology
adaptation, just like people have moved o new medias... Thats our only
option, the alternative being continue being the dumping ground for all
manner of used products from everywhere and expensive imports of stuff we
can produce locally.

I will also draw a parallel on my trip which took me to Amsterdam, Atlanta
and Latin America, but i concur with you fully.

Spot on Daktari....