[kictanet] I don’t trust the CCK over this fake phone switch-off

Steve Muchai smuchai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:38:55 EAT 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Listers
>
> This is an opinion piece.
>
> IN SUMMARY
>
> As long as phones require SIM cards to use, there really is no security
> implication of using a counterfeit mobile. One is already required by law to
> register SIM cards, so CCK had better come clean over this

Really?

First, barring of services does not equate to "switching off",
unfortunately, this term was coined and has now taken precedence over
the real meaning.

For fully unique identification you require a MSISDN (international
format number), IMSI (which identifies the SIM) and IMEI. Devices with
fake IMEIs do present a security risk because they cannot be uniquely
identified.

> The Kenya Bureau of Standards is unable to detect fake phones and relies
> heavily on mobile phone manufacturers, according to the Business Daily.

Again, really? Business Daily is now a source of expert opinion?
The IMEIdb is maintained by the GSMA, an independent body.

> Ladies and gentlemen, Kenya is facing a plague of regulatory bodies
> receiving assistance from those they are meant to police.

[...snipped for brevity]
> I have a feeling that these counterfeits will be disembowelled for their
> parts, then electronically reincarnated as branded CCK-approved phones.

If they're reincarnated with valid IMEI numbers, then so be it.

I'm wondering why there are such reactions to this move, but I'd like
to give one simple example why it should be enforced.

Why do we bother registering valid IMEIs so that stolen phones don't
get service?

Regards,
Steve