[kictanet] Who will buy this Sh1.8m TV?

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:27:01 EAT 2012

Another thing is to raise the salaries of unskilled staff. Benevolent self
interest. This will allow them to have some form of dignity and raise
children who can participate in the skilled labour market. This is
something we can all do, effectively helping alleviate poverty, one step at
a time.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Warigia Bowman <warigia at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> to start is bringing salaries of national officials in line.
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Mark Mwangi <mwangy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately I don't think such changes can start from the grassroots.
>> A leader willing to take the flack and protect his bureaucracy as they do
>> their jobs. When we allocate responsibility to everyone, we allocate it it
>> to no-one.
>> A decisive person that is willing to deal with security, economic and
>> policy issues with a clear plan with the interest of the citizens as a
>> priority.
>> It must start from the top.
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:22 AM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Warigia,
>>>
>>> Yes you are the only one who thinks it is shocking that our Ministers
>>> are paid this much and I am not being derogatory, African politics is about
>>> poverty and subjugation which is why, except for Peter Kenneth, very few
>>> politicians who tried to uplift the standard of living of their
>>> constituents makes it back for a second term.
>>>
>>> As you may be aware 5 years is not enough to show a marked change in a
>>> society and because of our agrarian thinking based on the cycle of the
>>> maize crop and at times sukuma wiki we tend to expect instant results once
>>> a new MP has been elected which is not feasible.  This will be better
>>> brought to the fore with the devolution where societies that have been
>>> relying on government handouts will realise that moving from a net consumer
>>> to a net producer takes more than 5 years, which is the reason I will not
>>> stand for governor (I have resolved myself to buying a degree from an
>>> online university, maybe even a PhD) during this trial phase.
>>>
>>> So as the electorate we prefer to get the 50/- dished out during the
>>> campaign period than hope for a more permanent solution from the MP, in
>>> exchange the MP spends Kes. 100 Million during the campaign and spends the
>>> next 5 years trying to recover from the hole this dug into their pockets by
>>> regularly increasing their remuneration to keep ahead of inflation.  Our
>>> MPs have increased their pay from a paltry 7,500/- 30 years ago to the
>>> current levels all because we, the electorate, have kept raising campaign
>>> costs by demanding larger and larger pesa pap.
>>>
>>> Which explains why there are rarely any dissenting voices in parliament
>>> as they propose to increase their salaries every other week, as all wear
>>> the same shoe and they all know where it bites.
>>>
>>> Look around at many of our former MP's they are a shadow of their former
>>> selves, more so those who believed that they where there to serve the
>>> electorate, the ones who used their time in parliament enriching themselves
>>> are at times better off.
>>>
>>> Please ask the same question to someone whose parent has been involved
>>> in politics, they will tell you that the amount paid is too little to make
>>> up for the emotionally and financially damage to the children and spouses.

Warm Regards,

Phares Kariuki

*: kariukiphares | *B*: http://www.kaboro.com/ |