[kictanet] Worst service providers

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:31:40 EAT 2012

I remember an article by the ministry of Energy responding to some scandal
concerning the Turkana wind farm. I think the issue was the worldbank
pulling out because they did not see a demand for the power that would be
generated by this project. I was really at a loss to explain to myself the
rationale behind that statement.

Back to the topic, Who are the shareholders of Kenya Power? Why are they
still a monopoly and what is the sense of having a billion shilling profit
making outfit that cannot invest adequately in infrastructure? Kazi ni
kumulika mwizi tu?

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Peter Wakaba <peterwakaba at gmail.com> wrote:

> About the outages, we are victims of our own success.
>
> 1. that economic growth we are always talking about. our reserve margin is
> very narrow and all but evaporates in the evenings and if it is cold. The
> lines are overloaded in most places, think those tall flats in all parts of
> Nairobi but with no support infrastructure. its just like water. for most
> places in Nairobi water rationing or mass storage is now a part of life.
> its just that no one has figured a way out for power.
>
> 2. it will be worse at the end of the first quarter next year when we go
> into the cold season and demand goes up. The cement factories in Athi
> river( there's five of them now) consume massive amounts of power. they get
> priority because they pay a direct tax and have a lobby group. you get shut
> off because that is not ua most productive hour and its not their concern
> to keep you comfortable.
>
> 3. Our newest power plant will be a 300 MW thermal coal plant in Kilifi...
> why i don't know. may be its water cooled. But me think someone has
> earmarked the coast for a large commercial industrial upgrade. Choice
> between more expensive electricity or rationing... ( the government intends
> to keep inflation figures low so ua guess is as good as mine.)
>
> 4. when u mix the road works, accidental faults, old infrastructure that
> doesn't like rain or lightning, scheduled maintenance and rationing, the
> picture is rather bleak.. or dark as one might see it.
>
> 5. on a lighter note i would like to know what Washington keeps in his
> fridge since he no longer stores 'perishables' in there'

Regards,

Mark Mwangi

markmwangi.me.ke