[kictanet] Misleading, predatory "sweepstakes" adverts

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Thu Nov 22 14:18:07 EAT 2012

Friends

There is an ad on "Bonyeza Ushinde" running across the country on TV, SMS, newspapers which, in my considered view, is misleading and predatory.

I have nothing against Safaricom running what is indeed a lottery, but they shouldn't suggest that every next person is winning! I have seen lotteries in other countries which, at the end of the ad, would add the winning odds. In one case, one lottery had a person with a rake standing next to a haystack. Meaning: try and find something small in that haystack.

I am wondering whether CCK shouldn't be monitoring such practices and take appropriate steps to avoid ongoing exploitation of even the illiterate who think sending 5 bob is going to win them millions.

Or what does the law/regulation require?

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared for ICT security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.