[kictanet] RESPONSES FROM ENGINEER KIDENDA ON THE STATE OF KENYAN ROADS

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Thu May 31 11:40:25 EAT 2012

Hi Gitau - I remember a national road policy that was implemented
some years back when late Michuki was in charge. It said that new
roads would take account of all the needs of ALL users, not just
vehiclar traffic but also cyclists, pedestrians, even mkokoteni
were to have their lanes. I am not sure if the new highways
recognise cyclists, leave alone mkokoteni.

2 belated questions for the engineers - not necessarily just for
KENHA which overall is doing a sterling job. Are there any
STANDARDS for construction of road bumps. The current bumps seem
to come in all shapes and sizes depending on the whims of the
builder and on highways are likely to cause more accidents than
they prevent. Some appear to be cynically created to be so high
that they ensure our majority ex-Japan cars get thorough damage
from scrapping. Furthermore it appears there is no policy to have
road bumps painted to warn motorists or sign posts placed to
indicate their existence.

Second: It seems to me that their is no policy to MAINTAIN roads.
It appears the practice is to construct and run. The old dictum
that "a stitch in time save nine"  hardly applies. A good example
is Nabkoi-Kapsabet raod. This road is re-built every 15 or so
years and abandoned until it is so full of potholes that even
tractors find unpliable. Then it is re-dug and completely
re-built. Is it not easier to fill potholes as they emerge?

I hope the person who was answering the questions has not closed
shop and is ready for this round 2.