[kictanet] Kenya' Road Safety Status

Eric Aligula jairah at kippra.or.ke
Thu May 17 18:00:40 EAT 2012

Listers

As you debate the very grave road safety situation in Kenya, we would
wish to share this preliminary information from a study we are
conducting on the accuracy of road safety data.  Good data is critical
for effective policy formulation, implementation and evaluation.
Anecdotal evidence suggests a significant level of underreporting,
compounded by errors in other complimentary data sets.

However, on the basis of what is available, we aver that the major
problem in respect of road safety in Kenya is a human problem.  That is
our weakest link. How to deal with it is key.

It is very broad brush and we welcome feedback even as we look for
answers from Thika Road.

Kind regards

Eric Aligula Magolo, PhD

Programmes Coordinator & Ag. Head, Infrastructure and Economic Services
Division

Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA)

P.O. Box 56445, 00200 Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:       +254-20-2719933/4
Fax:                +254-20-2719951
E-mail:            jairah at kippra.or.ke <mailto:jairah at kippra.or.ke>

Proudly Kenyan, Kenyan by Nature!

"In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been
granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I
do not shrink from this responsibility..........I welcome it."

John F. Kennedy

"To allow other people's assessment of you to determine your own
self-assessment is a very big mistake"

Columbia University President Lee Bollinger

"Far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though
checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
twilight that knows not victory, nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi"

"Per aspera ad astra!"