[kictanet] Revisiting Deadly Thika Road

Solomon Mbũrũ Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:12:34 EAT 2012

Just a by the way, when the latest and unfortunate blast that hit a
Mombasa club yesterday, someone on Facebook aptly put the blame on
Prof. Saitoti, urging him to resign. I just couldn't understand the
unjustifiable rationale there, yet we harbour crooks in our midst and
fail to report them to law enforcers. Now back to this topic, I think
it's each person's responsibility to the well-being of all road users
on Thika Road or any other road for that matter. When a rogue matatu
driver decides to overlap or drives at devil's speed, the passengers
will urge him to go ahead, with zest, replicating the 'dereva tia
moto', attitude. Yes, each one of us is guilty, because we - from the
Minister in charge of roads, traffic cops, drivers and pedestrians -
have failed to take a collective responsibility on our roads. We need
to stand up and be active participants on how to make our roads safe.
It's not just the responsibility of the contractors (or government)
but each one of us.