[kictanet] The real challenge of corporate governance: reinvent the board of directors!

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Fri May 4 10:02:20 EAT 2012

Even away from the NHIF, i can think of at least one listed company with a
figurehead chairman who turns up once a year, he is British, A powerful
Deputy Chair that everyone calls Chairman, who is also CEO  and a retinue
of directors, three independent who then fill in evey committee that teh
guy convenes, yes and morale at that company is very low.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Listers
>
> After the drama by the NHIF board on television, this story has relevance
> 8 years later.
>
> Rgds
> GG
>

> http://www.sunwords.com/2004/03/01/the-real-challenge-of-corporate-governance-reinvent-the-board-of-directors/
>
>  The real challenge of corporate governance: reinvent the board of
> directors!
>
> by Sunny Bindra on March 1, 2004 · 1 comment<http://www.sunwords.com/2004/03/01/the-real-challenge-of-corporate-governance-reinvent-the-board-of-directors/#comments>
>
> in The East African <http://www.sunwords.com/category/east-african/>
>     Share<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.sunwords.com/2004/03/01/the-real-challenge-of-corporate-governance-reinvent-the-board-of-directors/&t=The%20real%20challenge%20of%20corporate%20governance:%20reinvent%20the%20board%20of%20directors%21%20%E2%80%94%20Sunwords.com%20by%20Sunny%20Bindra&src=sp>
> inShare
>  *The EastAfrican announces a new management series by Sunny Bindra
> focusing on the key strategic issues facing senior executives in the region
> today. We start with the first part of a challenging look at a hallowed
> institution: the board of directors.*
> The corporate board is on fire. Across the world, boards are under
> unprecedented pressure. Directors of listed companies are wilting under the
> glare of the spotlight of unrelenting public scrutiny. And many business
> thinkers now believe that this will be the decade in which we dramatically
> redesign the entire concept of the board of directors.
> That is entirely as it should be. The venerable institution called the
> board of directors has, in essence, remained unchanged for many decades.
> During this period, the business world has undergone dramatic upheavals.
> Information and communications technology has transformed the way business
> is done the world over. Globalisation has provided a quantum leap in the
> scale of operations of many corporations – whilst simultaneously opening
> them up to ferocious competition. Customers have used this new freeing of
> markets and the remarkable array of consumer technology now available to
> them to tremendous effect: to demand – and get – unprecedented choice and
> value for money.
> uproot their deepest structures. Organisational design has moved away from
> functional ‘silos’ to customer-facing processes. Companies have learned to
> define their ‘core competencies’ and narrow the scope of operations to
> doing that which they do unambiguously well – and outsourcing the rest.
> Information technology has penetrated every facet of the modern
> corporation. Reward and incentive systems have been transformed as the
> importance of attracting and retaining the best human talent is recognised
> in company after company.
> [...]

*
Warm Regards,

PETER WAKABA
AFRICA BUSINESS EDITOR
CCTV AFRICA

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it must run faster
than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up,
it knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It
doesn't matter whether you are a gazelle or a lion. When the sun comes up,
you better start running.
- In "The World is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman*