[kictanet] Konza, a rethink

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Thu Mar 29 11:17:32 EAT 2012

Robert,
It seems that you have not been listening to my speeches some of which I
have seen your face.  First we radically changed our strategy from
focusing on BPO to creating internal efficiencies.  In internal
efficiencies, we look at radical cost savings and local outsourcing that
will create more jobs than any other sector within a very short period.
Implementation on this end has started in earnet with the shared services
platform at the treasury.  Much of Government services especially
e-procurement will be on line with more emphasies on the mobile platform.

E-procurement will create many back-end jobs as well as localized call
centers.  The local or county call centers will help citizens identify
service offering between country and National Government.  Without such
call centers, we shall be confused for the nextfive years before we demand
change of constitution.  In e-procurement we likely to create a saving of
$1 billion every year (we receive about $300 million in aid when we can
create such efficiencies).

Hoping the resistance will be less, we need the land Ministry automated.
When we reorganized its banking hall and filing, revenue jumped from Ksh.
3 billion to about Ksh. 7 billion estimated to be only 10 - 20% of the
potential revenue.  The Ministry too will need massive back office
operations possibly outsourced.

The there is Judiciary which has fully embraced IT.  Here they lose in
excess of $1 billion every year to fraud in bonding and fines.  A fully
automated Judiciary will and properly functioning police will bring in
excess of $2 billion to Treasury from all manner of fines.  Even if we
commited $1 billion to salaries of those in the back office, it will be a
life changing venture for thousands of our youth.

Here we have not said jobs in IT services raging from applications to
systems intergration.

In the industry take for example agriculture.  We shall be able to create
greater productivity and cut cost giving rise to more than $5 billion in
new revenues.  In essence we do not need jobs from out there but once we
create enormous capacity in internal efficiencies, BPO, KPO and other ITES
will come knocking and by then we shall be exporting expertee to the rest
of the continent.  Remember from my "candidacy" I said we needed more
intra Afroca trade than going out there unprepared.  Africa in Business is
virgin and we have the obligation to change that.

Ndemo.