[kictanet] Media Misleading Citizens?

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Wed Mar 21 19:09:44 EAT 2012

While at it, let's laud ourselves  as a country of many "firsts" - this is
another feather in the cap, coming up with the

first ever Great Firewall of Africa - going by the reasons advanced for
procuring the Technology.

Roping in the Internet Service providers to ensure that the 'Internet
Traffic Cop" spies on all traffic in and out of their

networks is certainly another "first",never heard it anywhere else other
than outside the continent. Corrections welcome.

Again from a limited perspective, I suppose technical implementation would
require a single point of Filter for some

several terabyte of traffic flowing in and out of the country, - quite a
daunting task if not herculean if you'd ask me,

leave alone gleaning the same data packets scouting for some obscure
hackivist trying to launch an attack, so I

definitely look forward to seeing how this works out.

Similarly, will this not create another single point of failure for our
internet, just days now emerging from one of the

biggest outages this country has ever witnessed..? Perhaps the firewall may
have the High Availability feature in

case it's hardware crashes hopefully..? Just speculating. Probably a more
manageable aspect of this that could be

technically and  economically feasible is to install a packet sniffer to
monitor and police Government data gateways

as a start.

Who will man this.?

Harry