[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Media Misleading Citizens?-One Man Security?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 18:49:23 EAT 2012

--- On Wed, 3/21/12, Moses Muya <mouzmuyer at gmail.com> wrote
>snip
The only question that comes to mind is whether the Government has the right legal backing to do this.

>snip

mmmhhh...I think a better question to ask is whether you want the Government or Regulator to have this type of legal backing. Wearing my security hat, I can tell you for free that national cyber-security initiatives can never be effective using a "one-stakeholder, do it as I say" approach...(unless u are in China and related cousins like North Korea)

Lets for a moment imagine that there is legal backing and ALL Operators are compelled to install this gadget.  Would we then claim to be electronically safer? Research shows that over 75% of electronic fraud/crime originates and is executed internally (like within Banks/Organisations) and hence putting gadgets at the Operators level presupposes the most of the bad guys are comming in from the "outside".  Fine you may catch the minotrity thugs (25%) but have not impact on the majority internal thugs (the 75%...)

A secondary but equally important point, is what would stop the Director General (my good friend Wangusi) to use the very same equipment to block internet traffic into and out of  the Kenyan space? Especially if Kenyans are trying to do the equivalent of the Arab uprising on Twitter/FB/etc...which is likely considering our politics is not really improving (but I digress)

Am not purely against security gadgets being installed.  Am against a framework that puts one man or woman in charge of these gadgets. Even our new constitution puts the Police and Security Intelligence bosses under Parliament (210 MPs?)

If we are not carefull we may be basically putting Kenya back to the days of one-man-show. Remember one broadcasting station - Voice of Kenya? remember KPT&C - the days of JamboNet? Same thing here on the offing - if we are to believe what has been published in the press (and why not, no one from CCK has protested as  being misquoted) .

walu.