[kictanet] Status of IPv6 deployment in Kenya

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Tue Mar 20 10:20:12 EAT 2012

Wash, et al,

Let me try and clarify one thing. There will never be demand for IPv6
just like there was never a demand for IPv4 because users don't care
much about the underlying technology. However, the users will provide a
constant demand for old and new Internet services.

As a result if you are an ISP intending to remain in the Internet
business you need to have the resources to deliver these services
competitively. Failure to plan and deploy IPv6 will mean that the ISP
will have two options;
	1. Deploy expensive IPv4 to IPv6 translation devices or,
	2. Incur costs due to early/unplanned upgrade cycle.

Mind you, the issue is not the core network, but the edge and CPE units
that have long upgrade cycles. In addition, most of these consumer
devices lack a firmware update option.

Remember for an ISP to remain competitive the subscriber's entry and
monthly recurrent costs have to be low. CPE costs are often met by the
subscriber fully either on entry, or through a recovery fee charged
nominally each month for a period often defined as the service/useful
life of the product.

Considering that in Africa we are largely consumers of the Internet, the
early adopters (Asia, Europe and the US) have already started utilizing
IPv6 thus requiring ISPs to deploy either of the above 2 options.
Failure to which would lead to inability to serve demanding subscribers.

Lastly, being first movers or what is referred to as "early adopters"
has its distinct advantages as follows;

	1. Operational experience in IPv6 which is currently limited globally
	2. Understand the business case and opportunities brought by IPv6
  	3. Working with vendors to develop solutions (read free testing gear)
	4. Migration paths are aligned with hardware upgrade cycles (no
surprises on upgrades)

	5. Early adopters are not exposed to last minute issues like high
hardware costs, staff training costs, consultants/solution implementers
costs, etc. Remember when you implement a solution late its a
product/service which has to be procured and implemented. When you adopt
early, there are often no procurement costs, training is more of R&D and
no external experts since the inhouse engineers the solution implementers.

Regards,

Michuki.