[kictanet] Dr. Ndemo & the KBC Staff Strike

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Fri Mar 9 22:42:11 EAT 2012

Grace

Many thanks for your remarks and pointer to the report on KBC and its woes.

In Toronto Canada, across that country and throughout North America, I can still listen to major broadcasts on AM radio, despite the proliferation of FM stations which usually have limited range. The issue should be how FM technology can be complimentary to what you term obsolete technology that otherwise allow for long-range reach; and would serve us well, considering that Kenya is about 75% rural.

KBC's mandate should NOT be seen purely in commercial terms. Its mandate and role should also be nation building. Again I take Cananda as an example, an expansive country (2nd largest in land mass in the world) but whose foundations are credited to (a) the railroad and (b) the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC); and not that the latter doesn't face regular debates on its ROI considering it is heavily tax-payer subsidized. The CBC, under pressure from private broadcasters and the public has been able to produce some of the best Canadian content and helped make careers of people that may never have reached where they have.

I am also wondering whether your study attempted any benchmarking (history, mandate, standards, staffing, funding (e.g. as % of GDP), etc.) with respect to similar entities?

Finally, the ongoing labour unrest in the country is something we may have to learn to live with. I believe we need to use arbitration techniques more than directives. We could attempt binding arbitration between employer and union, failure of which we involve the legislature to compel a return to work in cases of essential services like healthcare

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared to face ICT Security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com

"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a workstation…" - Anonymous
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.