[kictanet] Dr. Ndemo & the KBC Staff Strike

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:40:44 EAT 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 21:06, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel we should sort out our National Broadcaster. It's a pity that other
> private media stations have taken over KBCs position as we stood by and
> watched. At the moment, KBC still has good will and can recover.
>
> It also does not make sense for we to push for cutting edge initiatives
> such as Konza, TEAMS if we are going to let the state at KBC remain as it
> is. I am sure they can play  a major role in local content creation.
>
> Having colleagues in the journalistic filed at KBC, I have heard rumours
> of situation where the national broadcaster's crew were first at ground
> breaking events (read disasters) in the country. However, such news is
> broken by private radio stations where the footage is sold even before it
> ever gets to KBCs studios. I have even heard more rumours of the
> broadcasters equipment being used to shoot footage that ends up with
> private broadcasters.
>
> I am sure the leaked payslips of staff at Standard Media Group
> <http://thejackalnews.com/media-news/news-media/1688-horror-of-massive-salary-discrepancies-at-standard-group-exposed>led
> to most of the staff questioning what it is they did wrong for their
> colleagues at media school to end up on the better side of luck .
>
> An amicable solution is required. We are all sure that the national
> broadcaster can make enough revenue to sustain a highly skilled workforce,
> given the right leadership.
>
> I believe Dr. Ndemo, having seeing his deeds in the ICT sector, can also
> be the champion credited with overhauling KBC.

@Dennis,

For me, it's a simple question so far:

What is it that KBC doesn't have (and cannot afford) that the private
broadcasters do have?

If someone can answer this for me, I'd be very happy because it's "looking
at issues from BASIC PRINCIPLES". Maybe it's as hard as having to disband
KBC, if that situation cannot be addressed.
However, KBC being a National Broadcaster means it's funded by public taxes
and that is a very very deep pocket! I am not ready to accept any
explanation to the effect that the govt cannot put in place the necessary
measures to make KBC a profitable business-case. Rumors have it that
Management at KBC are well-connected individuals, not necessarily
qualified, and that is typical for the govt, which is not a business and so
is not expected to make profits, but KBC must make profits like other Media
houses. I don't understand what it is that Citizen does right with its
myriad Radio Stations that KBC cannot do, having been the only broadcaster
before these FM Stations were born.
Oh, most of KBC veterans can be heard at the private Radio Stations,
especially Royal Media. Someone must be able to explain why they had to
leave KBC for these other places. The reasons are obvious.

Perhaps the govt should just bite the bullet and shut down KBC if they
cannot improve it and attract talent and stop acting stupid!

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,