[kictanet] Computer for Schools and Cloud Computing

James Kagwe kagwejg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 12:09:48 EAT 2012

Afternoon all,

Computer for schools is definitely a very good initiative by the Kenya
government and a strong statement that it supports ICT and hopes it will
be a major driving force for the economy as we transition to a knowledge
economy.  This was clearly demonstrated by a budgetary in this years
budget. The budget though small will definitely change something in the
educational sector.

Cloud computing technology on the other side is growing rapidly and is
being said to have the capability of making the third world leap frog to
first world in terms of technology. Imagine an application in the cloud
which is taken up by at least half of Kenya's SMEs and the impact it
would have on them. Cloud computing is also easy and fast to deploy from
a user perspective and does not necessarily require the skills of an ICT
project manager in the classical sence (you probably do not need an ICT
project manager to move companies mails to Google apps or hosted
Microsoft exchange). Cloud computing is envisaged to revolutionise
computing in the classical sence in that people may not require PCs to
do their work to an extent where BYOD (bring your own device) model will
be used at our workplaces. If this really happens companies will
definitely realize lots of costs reduction. It is also envisaged that
people will increasingly move away from convectional computing devices
(desktops and laptops) to smart handheld devices like smart phones,
tablets etc. This technology should inform us a lot in our computer for
schools provisioning strategies.

The computer for schools approach has been buying out computers, setting
up LANs and connecting them to internet in a laboratory. If trends in
cloud computing continue we will see less and less of computers and more
and more of handheld smart devices. Think about ourselves now and see
how often we use the desktops in our offices. BYOD which is being fought
by most ICT Managers will be an obvious situation. There is a
possibility that the students in schools today might not use computers
at all in their working life. I guess we should start thinking of how we
can introduce these devices in schools because really they are the
future of computing. Instead of teaching convectional programing we
probably should be teaching mobile and cloud applications programming.
The best thing about these devices is their mobility and the fact that
you can charge once and use for several hours thus appropriate for areas
with electricity power challenges.

I could write more but those are my quick thought.

regards,
James