[kictanet] ITU Internet Takeover Conspiracy Not real.

Hascall Sharp chsharp at cisco.com
Wed Jun 13 13:13:11 EAT 2012

Ali,

Sorry, this email grew beyond the short reply I was planning. :-)

I mostly agree with the main message of the story.

In my opinion, the argument over whether the UN or ITU is taking over the Internet is a distraction from the proposals at WCIT that *will* affect the Internet in a substantive manner.

The UN and ITU can't make proposals to modify the International Telecommunication Regulations (ITRs), only countries can.  So it is really the countries that are making proposals into WCIT.  I'm not naive enough to think that the ITU staff can't make suggestions or influence the process, but a country still has to make a proposal.

There are proposals of great concern to the operation of the Internet though, for example:
  * Routing:  A proposal to allow countries to specify what routes its traffic takes or to know the end-to-end routes of its traffic.  This is framed in the context of voice calls, but there is nothing precluding the provision from being applied to the Internet.
  * IPv6 address allocation: This proposal would oblige the ITU to allocate IPv6 addresses. It isn't clear how this would work with the RIR system.
  * Internet Interconnection:  There are a couple of proposals regarding Internet interconnection, basically getting governments involved in the negotiation of interconnect agreements and potentially imposing a telephony style settlements and accounting regime.
  * A change in wording from "Registered Operating Agency" to "Operating Agency".  This seemingly small change could greatly expand the scope of the ITRs to entities and organizations not previously under its mandates, e.g., ISPs, private lines, multinational companies, VPNs, amateur radio operators (ham radio), etc.
  * A proposal to add the word "processing" to the definition of telecommunications.  This would bring computing and information systems (e.g., IT) under the ITRs.
  * Spam:  A proposed definition of spam and obligations for governments to take action.  While we all hate spam (well except for the people making money off it), adding a definition and mandates to a treaty is a bad idea.  There are too many opportunities for unintended consequences and treaties are very difficult to revise (we lived with the last one for over 20 years).
  * Cybersecurity:  Various mandates and proposals related to cybersecurity.
  * VoIP:  Delegates in the Council Working Group on WCIT have made it clear that they plan to apply the ITRs to VoIP.  This could severely affect the ability to use VoIP over the Internet in different countries.  There are various proposals on misuse of numbering, fraud and Origin Identification.  Remember that misuse and fraud in one country might be seen as competition or ingenuity in another country.
  * etc.

 Countries like Sweden, Canada, USA, Hungary, UK, Finland, Australia have argued for a more open process and could be proposing a more open process in the very near future.  It would really be helpful if they could get some support from other countries (e.g., Kenya).  If there is a way for any on this list to talk to their national delegations then it might help.

The WCITLeaks web site has a proposed draft of the revised ITRs with all proposals included (but without attribution).
http://files.wcitleaks.org/public/T09-CWG.WCIT12-120620-TD-PLEN-0064MSW-E.pdf

Chip