[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Listening at the Kenya Red Cross Developer day

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Jun 4 13:27:26 EAT 2012

+1

As the maxim goes 'IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO MAKE AN ENTREPRENEUR'

Ali Hussein

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree 101%.
>
> It is incumbent upon us as industry to make effort to mentor and guide
> those who are new to enable them to learn and grow personally and
> professionally.
>
> We are fooling ourselves if all we do is complain that there is a
> disconnect between academia and industry and then sit on our hands.
>
> Personally I live by the maxim that I got where I am thanks to the
> intervention and guidance of many, and it is only fair for me to do the
> same for those behind me.
>

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing. Truly there is a lot going on. There is definitely a
>> need for mentorship at all levels and the issue is being addressed in
>> various way by a multiplicity of actors. I guess and what I keep hearing,
>> is that there are not enough experienced individuals willing to
>> sacrifice/contribute some of their personal time towards adopting and
>> mentoring some of these brilliant young people.
>>
>> Let us keep in mind that mentorship is not 1 hour talking at/down to a
>> group of techies, but is actually a much deeper engagement, on a personal
>> level - where the mentor makes themselves available to the mentee(s) for
>> guidance, advice, support, counselling etc...
>>
>> I have 3 such guys with whom I have developed a relationship over the
>> past 4 years and I can tell you that there is nothing a fulfilling as
>> seeing them grow from strength to strength.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Paul Kukubo <pkukubo at ict.go.ke> wrote:
>>
>>> As I write this the Kenya Red Cross is organizing the tech event dubbed
>>> Random Hacks of Kindness. Developers from all over Kenya are presenting
>>> ideas on using technology in humanitarian situations. Taking place at Keny
>>> Red Cross offices.
>>>
>>> Dr Ndemo opening the judging session emphasized the need for developers
>>> to think commercially in order for them to have the incentive to stay the
>>> course. Most applications are very socially oriented, perhaps representing
>>> our social reality.
>>>
>>> What's amazing is the fact that these hackathons and developer forums
>>> are becoming an increasing aspect of youth culture in universities and
>>> colleges. Remember most developers ago are say 19 years old now were 14
>>> years old when the undersea cable discussions started.  What is evident is
>>> that these developers need a lot of mentoring and this where we can all
>>> come in.  The issue of mentoring needs a broad discussion.
>>>
>>> It was fresh to see a whole new bunch of techies with a different
>>> perspective. At this stage the developer community is doing what it can.
>>> Many of them worked the weekend to prepare. Once this becomes part of the
>>> youth culture, even for a few, opportunity is created.
>>>
>>> This is kind of techie week in Kenya with Nokia Summit last week, the 4c
> [...]

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame