[kictanet] Yes, Government Researchers Really Did Invent the Internet

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Wed Jul 25 17:50:35 EAT 2012

  Yes, Government Researchers Really Did Invent the Internet
  <http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/07/23/yes-government-researchers-really-did-invent-the-internet/>

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/07/23/yes-government-researchers-really-did-invent-the-internet/?print=true

By Michael Moyer | July 23, 2012

?It?s an urban legend that the government launched the Internet,? writes
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444464304577539063008406518.html>
Gordon Crovitz in an opinion piece in today?s /Wall Street Journal/.
Most histories cite the Pentagon-backed ARPANet
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/report.cfm?id=Internet-at-40> as the
Internet?s immediate predecessor, but that view undersells the
importance of research conducted at Xerox PARC labs in the 1970s, claims
Crovitz. In fact, Crovitz implies that, if anything, government
intervention gummed up the natural process of laissez faire innovation.
?The Internet was fully privatized in 1995,? says Crovitz, ?just as the
commercial Web began to boom.? The implication is clear: the Internet
could only become the world-changing force it is today once big
government got out of the way.

But Crovitz?s story is based on a profound misunderstanding of not only
history
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/report.cfm?id=Internet-at-40>, but
technology. Most egregiously, Crovitz seems to confuse the Internet
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/report.cfm?id=Internet-at-40>?at
heart, a set of protocols designed to allow far-flung computer networks
to communicate with one another?with Ethernet, a protocol for connecting
nearby computers into a local network. (Robert Metcalfe
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=using-the-internets-history-to-develop>,
a researcher at Xerox PARC who co-invented the Ethernet protocol, today
tweeted <https://twitter.com/BobMetcalfe/status/227426481901559808>
tongue-in-cheek ?Is it possible I invented the whole damn Internet??)

The most important part of what we now know of as the Internet is the
TCP/IP protocol, which was invented by Vincent Cerf
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=internet-pioneer-cerf>
and Robert Kahn. Crovitz mentions TCP/IP, but only in passing, calling
it (correctly) ?the Internet?s backbone.? He fails to mention that Cerf
and Kahn developed TCP/IP while working on a government grant
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=internet-pioneer-cerf>.

Other commenters, including Timothy B. Lee at Ars Technica
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/wsj-mangles-history-to-argue-government-didnt-launch-the-internet/>
and veteran technology reporter Steve Wildstrom
<http://techpinions.com/wsjs-internet-history-is-way-off/8080>, have
noted that Crovitz?s misunderstandings run deep. He also manages to
confuse the World Wide Web
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=long-live-the-web>
(incidentally, invented by Tim Berners Lee
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/report.cfm?id=web-20-anniversary>
while working at CERN, a government-funded research laboratory) with
hyperlinks, and an internet?a link between two computers?with THE Internet.

But perhaps the most damning rebuttal
<http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-mo-who-invented-internet-20120723,0,5052169.story>
comes from Michael Hiltzik, the author ?Dealers of Lightning
<http://www.amazon.com/Dealers-Lightning-Xerox-PARC-Computer/dp/0887309895>,?
a history of Xerox PARC that Crovitz uses as his main source for
material. ?While I?m gratified in a sense that he cites my book,? writes
Hiltzik, ?it?s my duty to point out that he?s wrong. My book bolsters,
not contradicts, the argument that the Internet had its roots in the
ARPANet, a government project.?

In truth, no private company would have been capable of developing a
project like the Internet, which required years of R&D efforts spread
out over scores of far-flung agencies, and which began to take off only
after decades of investment. Visionary infrastructure projects such as
this are part of what has allowed our economy to grow so much in the
past century. Today?s op-ed is just one sad indicator of how we seem to
be losing our appetite for this kind of ambition.

*About the Author:* Michael Moyer is the editor in charge of technology
coverage at Scientific American. Follow on Twitter @mmoyr
<http://twitter.com/mmoyr>.