[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] How Safaricom Steals Your Internet Bundle

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sat Jul 21 08:38:10 EAT 2012

Grace

The question is: What is the regulator doing about this?

Ali Hussein

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>wrote:

> 99% of Kenya’s 6.5m <http://cck.go.ke/news/2012/Mobile_Subscribers.html> internet
> users access it via mobile, of which Safaricom owns 77% marketshare.
>
> In Kenya, when you buy a 1.5Gb internet bundle from Safaricom you pay
> 1000ksh (~$12). You’ve paid for the data, and there is no additional cost
> to Safaricom if you were to use that data today or a year from now. The
> whole concept of data bundle expiry is ridiculous, as noted by Safaricom
> CEO Bob Collymore when he visited the iHub:
>
> “When you go into a petrol station and fill up your car, does the owner of
> the petrol station tell you to bring it back on Wednesday to take back
> what’s left in the vehicle? Of course not. So I ask, why the hell are we
> doing that?”
>

> Read on
>
> http://whiteafrican.com/2012/07/18/how-safaricom-steals-your-internet-bundle/

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame