[kictanet] CIPIT and Seminar on Computer Software Patents

Isaac Rutenberg iruten at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:54:03 EAT 2012

Dear Jaco,

I think it would be difficult to discuss software patents without
recognizing the open source movement, creative commons, etc., and indeed we
will discuss this to some extent.

The focus will be on whether patents are good or bad for the ICT industry,
and whether the Kenyan patent office (KIPI) should generally allow them or
deny them as a policy.  There are arguments both ways, and in fact KIPI
could do either under the current law.  For those who wish to see no
patents whatsoever, I encourage you to attend and voice this opinion.  KIPI
will be attending and will hear you.

Regards
isaac

--