[kictanet] Kenic board resignation, new CEO

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Jul 19 18:07:25 EAT 2012

Probably Burachara relinquished his position at Nairobinet on taking the
CEO's position at KENIC. We have seen this culture before, like when Esther
Passaris relinquished her position at Adopt-Alight to run as Mayor of
Nairobi, and When Paul Kukubo relinquished his position at 3-Mice to take
up the position of CEO at ICT Board. But in all cases, major conflicts of
interest have ensued, and this should not be allowed to take place.

The Board of Directors’ job is to define strategy and direction of the
company. If the current strategic plan implemented by KENIC failed under
the chairmanship of Burachara, how can he claim to be able to turn around
the organisation as the CEO and come up with a new strategy? If the current
strategic plan had major gaping issues, who should be made accountable?
Under what authority did he get to the position of interim CEO? Did the
board sanction the appointment? What are the qualifications of the change
manager? Was KENIC's HR policy followed in the process of hiring him? Is
Buruchara the right person to bring change at KENIC? What is his track
record at NairobiNet? If he could not transform NairobiNet to the league of
Wananchi Online or Africa Online, do we expect him to transform KENIC to
the regional leader we all envision? There were interviews for a new CEO
done several months ago. What were the results? Members need to know
because company resources were used in the hiring process.

It should also be noted that the board has been a negative influence and
interferes with the running of KENIC, causing major instabilities. How can
they explain the high turnover of CEOs? There is a very dark cloud hovering
around.

For a Board that has managed to only register 25,000 domains in the
lifetime of KENIC, compared to .co.za's 780,000 and 100,000 additions
annually, isn't it time for a major overhaul? I had proposed on this list
to have board members run for a maximum of two terms of 3 years each. This
will ensure synergy and fresh ideas are injected into our KENIC, and propel
its growth and success.

The KENIC AGM has always been made around July, but so far, members have
not got any communication from the Board convening the AGM. If there is no
communication forthcoming, the members should call for an extra-ordinary
AGM to chat the way forward, and streamline the company.

It was a shame really that visibility of KENIC in the just concluded EAIGF
held here in Nairobi was minimal. These are the opportunities that should
be capitalised for publicity and marketing.

Regards
lordmwesh

On 19 July 2012 11:42, Rebecca Wanjiku <rebeccawanjiku at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you have views on Kenic, please share on the latest post. All views
> welcome
>
> Kenya Network Information Center (KENIC), is never short of drama. There
> seems to be something very wrong but no one seems to have the right answer;
> over the last month, three board members have resigned and the chair is
> said to be on the way out.
> Over the same month, former board member Sammy Buruchara took over as the
> CEO or  ”change manager” and there was mixed reactions over the turn of
> events. It is not clear whether resignations of Aly Hussein, Moses
> Kemimbaro, and Lucky Waindi have anything to do with the turn of events or
> whether Alice Munyua’s, (chair) unhappiness has anything to do with it, but
> something is not right.
> Continue...
>

> http://www.wanjiku.co.ke/2012/07/resignation-chaos-at-kenic-as-former-board-member-takes-over/
>
> Tel. 254 720 318 925