[kictanet] Airtel vs YU: Airtel to shut down YU

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Jul 10 16:46:11 EAT 2012

James

I'm in total agreement. It may sound cruel but the Americans have an apt
word for it...

CREATIVE DESTRUCTION..

Ali Hussein

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM, James Mbugua <jgmbugua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Odhiambo
>
> Respectfully, you are stating the obvious.
>
> If a business can't pay its bills, it closes down. Plain and Simple.
>
> If you want to transmit content you must pay one of the two licensed
> signal distributors with infrastructure (Signet and Panafrican Group).
>
> It goes without saying that if you don't pay you will be switched off.
> Whether you choose to shut down after that is your choice really.
>
> JG
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > An inconspicuous column inside The Star today talks about a spat between
> > Airtel and YU in which the former is threatening to shut down YU because
> of
> > a payment dispute.
> > 1.3b (I think) is the figure in dispute - arising from "Site Sharing"
> where
> > Airtel has been sharing its sites with YU. How this plays out is gonna be
> > interesting, but hopefully it doesn't go the way I think - YU shutdown.
> >
> > Which brings me to the Digitial TV scenario, and subsequently 4G/LTE.
> Will
> > such a scenario play out between KBC/Signet and the other 160+ providers
> -
> > such that a provider can easily be shut down for non-payment, leaving
> it's
> > subscribers without service?
> >
> > I am not saying we are there yet, but I have a feeling.... lisemwalo
> liko!
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
> > Nairobi,KE
> > +254733744121/+254722743223
> >
> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jgmbugua%40gmail.com
> >
> > The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> for
> > people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> > regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
> > sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> development.
> >
> > KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
> > online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
> bandwidth,
> > share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
> > not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame