[kictanet] Govt Budget - removal of duty on software

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 10:17:49 EAT 2012

Hi All
Just thinking abt the removal of duty on software in the recent budget.
- What is the present rate of duty on SW and how much will this impact
the cost of PCs (esp where they have an OEM agreement to sell with an
OS)?  Can we expect major reductions in the price of laptops/desktops
loaded with an OS?
-  Also does this not remove protection of local developers (e.g.
payroll systems, accounting, etc etc) by making imported software
costs come down?
- In the enterprise space, given that software delivery can be via the
cloud, I think it makes sense to let go of this duty since its going
to raise the same issue of how to tax e-commerce.

--
Francis Hook
+254 733 504561