[kictanet] Government website Hacking incident a crying shame

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:28:57 EAT 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 17:09, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>wrote:

> The fact that a student on a hacking/computer security course could hack
> into and deface more than 100 Government of Kenya websites* in one
> night(!)* is a crying shame. In addition to that, the fact that it seems
> all or most of these sites were hosted on a single server is a travesty of
> best practice.
>
> Is it so difficult for GoK to invite (readily available) information
> security experts to design and implement a suitable online information
> framework for public government websites?
>
> Shaking my head,

@Brian,

Where is the shame coming from? You don't work for gava, so I don't really
understand what your share is in the shame.
This is the govt!! Don't you know the govt?

Seriously though, most of the websites are useless, IMHO. Did you hear
anyone complain that a certain govt website is down and so they are unable
to operate/discharge their duties?

Let's cry for what is worth our tears.

I am sure you do know that the govt has an ICT Directorate or something of
the sort. Ask the boss to take iResposibility for this shame, please, and
move on. It's so difficult to cure what ails  govt.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,