[kictanet] Unscrupulous domain registrars or . . .

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 08:44:41 EAT 2012

On 2/29/12, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I visited site called WebHostKenya.com to search for the availability of the
> domain name wingu.co.ke and hopefully be able to register it, the domain
> name not available so I searched for an alternative wingu.ne.ke
>
> When I made the initial search the domain name was available just to check
> again a few minutes later and it had been taken up, the concerning issue is
> that the registrar in question is the one who holds the wingu.co.ke domain
> name.
>
> Is this my over active conspiracy mind at work or is it possible that the
> registrar can view my search and then register the domain so as to force me
> to pay him more later?

certainly possible, it's an unscrupulous practivce called "front-running" IIRC.

wingu does not seem to be registered now tho:

% Copyright KENIC

% The data below is provided for information purposes
% and to assist persons in obtaining information about or
% related to domain name registrations.
% By submitting a whois query, you agree to use this data
% only for lawful purposes.

% remarks: Security issues should also be addressed to noc at kenic.or.ke
% remarks: Mail abuse issues should also be addressed to abuse at kenic.or.ke

% whois.kenic.or.ke accepts only direct match queries.
% Types of queries are: domains (.KE) and POCs.

Domain Information
Query: wingu.ne.ke

--
Cheers,