[kictanet] [KICTAnet] TEAMS | EASSY Fiber Cables Cut? SEACOM | LION?

Eugene Lidede (Synergy) eugene at synergy.co.ke
Tue Feb 28 16:54:42 EAT 2012

+1 Michuki on your good points

> 1. Today we import more than 80% of the Internet traffic consumed in
> Kenya causing an "Internet Transit Deficit" where significantly less
> Internet traffic is generated locally than accessed from overseas,
> similar to what was experienced between Europe and the US during the
> late 1990's.

However, what constitutes this traffic? Is it local content held abroad or
is it genuinely content that cannot otherwise be obtained/generated locally.
If it is local content held abroad, of which I am convinced it is, what is
the best solution pre-2030: more fiber - both under sea and terrestrial,
more redundant landing stations, better behaved shipping lines or more
capacity and enabling environment for local hosting and local content
providers?

Considering a typical case where my suppliers are in Kenya, my means of
production is in Kenya, my clients are in Kenya with an occasionally client
or two from abroad. If I had an extra shilling to spend on my business, what
would make more sense, reengineer my offering to attract more international
clients or strengthen my local offering?

How is it that we are comfortable with our top publicly listed telco,
Safaricom delivering traffic to our top publicly listed media house in the
UK? What ought to be the focus of our policy makers, regulators and
licensors: facilitating scenarios as these or formulating ways to reverse
such? Are there any benefits of such traffic transactions happening here in
Kenya say at KIXP? How much would it cost say Safaricom to host say NMG's
suite of websites, even if free of charge, verses how much does it cost them
in terms of procured capacity, to deliver NMG bound traffic to the UK? Are
there any short/long term benefits? Can both firms and others be given tax
incentives to facilitate the above as opposed draining money on software
certifications, a duplication of what more tax-payer money is already
successfully doing at public universities?

--

Growing up in the seventies and eighties was interesting... Across all homes
I knew, my friends, my cousins and even the one I grew up in, the best of

Fast forward 30 years, and yes only time has "changed". We the lads and
lasses growing up in the seventies and eighties are now in our  30s, 40s and
50s and yes, we are policy makers but as you know old habits die hard and so
do bad ones. Our preoccupation is on how to better facilitate delivery of
traffic abroad for what has been generated locally and is to be consumed
within our borders. This we see as good practice: pay for export of our
locally produced content and pay some more for its delivery back home
unmodified for consumption. We see no problem giving a foreign company most
of our government data via opendata because they are more competent than
locals in deciphering and analyzing the data on and about the locals

Why are we so preoccupied with the international market as though there are
no business opportunities for locals?

If indeed ICT and ecommerce is the next economic frontier, "naomba
sirkal"... Nkt!

Regards