[kictanet] The Sheng Question

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:36:17 EAT 2012

@lordmwesh - then by these definitions Kiswahili is a type of Creole?
(after mixing various Bantu languages, Arabic, Portuguese,  Chinese,
English, etc) .....and having said that, then Sheng is indeed a
dialect since the original (and still evolving) Kiswahili - spoken
widely from Mocambique to the DRC, varies quite a lot.   In the DRC
they speak in past tense and plural - even if talking of one self in
the present...

I like the discourse on Baabi and its usage :-)  I did surprise a
seasoned (albeit somewhat young) Sheng speaker who did not know the
etymology of that word and its inclusion in Sheng.   And thinking of
this word, and seeing how Sheng itself has a sub-culture....some of
the words are contributed by sub-sub (?) cultures like Rastafarianism
(where "Babylonian" i.e.  Mbaabi, comes from).

sheng.co.ke does not seem to work....was keen to see if it would
provide more than definitions...

Francis Hook
+254 733 504561