[kictanet] TEAMS | EASSY Fibre Cables Cut? SEACOM | LION?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:52:25 EAT 2012

http://www.seacom.mu/news/article-92/seacom-network-is-not-down/

"The SEACOM network is not experiencing any cable outages or
international connectivity disruptions as a result of multiple cable
cuts currently affecting other providers and carriers in the Gulf of
Aden.

SEACOM is committed to assisting affected customers and cable
providers with bandwidth options as required to minimize the impact
this downtime has on the African Internet."

On 2/27/12, Nicholas J Dear <ndear at sundayafternoon.me.uk> wrote:
> It's the providers that have to take the wrap for this. In
> this day and age it's incredulous to have a single point of
> failure. It's just not necessary.

Well traditionally, cable landing stations are expensive, so they tend
to be re-used.

This happens fairly often, there is an entire industry that is
dedicated to fixing fiber cuts.

Perhaps the exclusion zone needs more buoys to signal to maritime
traffic where they can and cant go?

--
Cheers,

McTim