[kictanet] The Sheng Question

Daniel Waweru daniel.waweru at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 19:27:12 EAT 2012

(1) Sheng is already widely-spoken in urban bits of Kenya, and knowledge of
it is essential effectively to communicate with anyone under 40.

(2) There's good research indicating that Sheng is not a creole or a
pidgin, but rather a dialect of Swahili. (Paper by Chege Githiora attached.)

(3) It is thoroughly mysterious why Kenyans should speak only those
languages that are widely spoken by its trading partners, especially in
light of the fact that those trading partners do not speak only the
language of their trading partners. Chinese, which you seem to have assumed
is a single language, is actually a family of dialects, several of which
are not mutually intelligible. I have not seen any move by the government
of China to restrict their use, or formal study of them, on the ground that
it is time to use only English.

Daniel Waweru
www.kenyaimagine.com
Art and analysis; debate and opinion.