[kictanet] [AfrICANN-discuss] The UN : A Threat to the Internet freedom??

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:40:12 EAT 2012

Hi Alex,

On 2/24/12, Ntoko, Alexander <alexander.ntoko at itu.int> wrote:
> Read on!
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/119481-fcc-fires-fud-at-the-idea-of-a-un-controlled-internet

Seems to me the author doesn't truly understand how peering and
transit relationships work.

"Under the current unregulated peering system, foreign ISPs pay US
ISPs a fee to carry internet traffic, which means US companies make a
tidy sum of cash off foreign access." for example is incorrect.

ISPs pay their upstream (transit) providers, these may or may not be
located in the USA.  They also peer to reduce their transit costs.
Many transit providers are located outside the US and are not US
companies.

Since you are head of the ITU strategy department, perhaps you could
share what the ITU strategy is in re: the ITRs and how it will impact
Internet users?

--
Cheers,

McTim