[kictanet] Online Security in Kenya needs to be mainstreamed

Michuki Mwangi michuki at swiftkenya.com
Sat Feb 11 22:04:34 EAT 2012

Hi Brian, et al,

On 2/11/12 9:28 PM, Brian Munyao Longwe wrote:
> Hey Michuki,
>
> A group calling themselves "Rwandan-Hackers" compromised the Standard
> Media website yesterday and published online a list of KTN Live members
> which included username, encrypted password and email addresses, a
> snippet follows:

So this brings on a new perspectives to the discussion.

1. The great connectivity that we have has not only exposed us to
external threats but also to Internal threats.

2. It also clears the fact that it doesnt matter where your website is
hosted since this website is hosted in the US just like the Toyota one.

3. The attack is through an SQL injection which IMHO exposes the depth
of our web-developers.

Point 3 above leads me to a conclusion that the CxO's are making the
necessary investments. But it looks like the ball is dropped elsewhere.

my 2 cents!.

Mich