[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] http://www.nation.co.ke/Tech/-/1017288/1647632/-/1555o81/-/index.html

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Fri Dec 28 19:00:05 EAT 2012

Dear Barrack and all

I agree with you on the multistakeholder issue. There seems to be
different interpretations /understanding of multi-stakeholder policy
processes.

A question that was consistently raised before WCIT by stakeholders
involved in the process
-"to what extend was stakeholder proposals and contributions taken into
consideration when determining what position/proposals Kenya would support?

The assumption was that Kenya's position would be developed after
national multistakeholder consultations. And they were several as you
mention below, the Kenya IGF, the East African IGF (day two was
dedicated to discussing the ITRs), and the Kenya stakeholder
consultations organised by CCK. These consultations developed and
produced several viewpoints, and the expectation was that these views
would have been taken into account when developing the national position
or "agreeing" on what proposals Kenya was to support.

This clearly did not happen.

It is therefore important to continue discussions on
what multistakeholder consultations mean and how we interpret
constitutional provision article 10, which states " (1) the national
values and principles of governance in this

Article binds all State organs, State officers, public officers and all
persons whenever any of them---- (a) Applies or interprets this
Constitution;  (b) Enacts, applies or interprets any law; or (c) Makes
or implements public policy decisions. (2) The national values and
principles of governance include---- (a) Patriotism, national unity,
sharing and devolution of power, the rule of law, democracy and
participation of the people"

In addition to discussing and getting clarity on multistakeholder policy
processes, I support Dr. Ndemo's call for further national consultations
to discuss some of the new provisions that have altered the nature of
the ITRs. Some of these include the unprecedented expansion of Human
Rights language in the preamble of the treaty, which is inconsistent
with international human rights standards and precedents particularly
with the shift from individual human rights to collective state rights.
Are the ITRs a good place for creation of what appears to be new human
rights? National consultations may consider this question and also
consult with our relevant legal/human rights experts to determine if
this expansion of human rights is appropriate.

By the way it is very normal for countries to sign treaties after a
round of consultations at the national level.

Best
Alice