[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sun Dec 9 20:32:13 EAT 2012

Denis,
You are right. If you squeeze too many channels into one frequency, you loose the quality. CCK recommends 20 channels per frequency but we see as many as 32 at present.  We take our viewers for granted.

The situation is further complicated due to the fact that most frequencies are held by analogue broadcasters. It is a chicken and egg thing. You need frequencies to create a better experience in Digital but those are the same frequencies you need for simulcast (parallel broadcast).

None of the local broadcaster is capable of a high definition or 3D production and none is doing research on the emerging technologies in broadcast.  Compared with the usual standard definition, these two new technologies give you unparalleled quality.

Ndemo.

Sent from my BlackBerry®