[kictanet] Under what conditions should we shut down twitter, internet, radio, TV in Kenya?

Alex Comninos alex.comninos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:32:04 EAT 2012

On 5 December 2012 09:51, Francis Hook <francis.hook at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I was in charge of national security, I'd not think twice about
> violating anyone's freedom of speech rights if innocent people are
> getting killed.  I'd turn off the internet and broadcasting without
> batting an eye-lid.   I'm sure the people whose freedom of speech I
> have violated will not fall ill and die. <snip>

Shutting down communications in anticipation of violence can cause
loss of life. People rely on communications (internet patforms, the
internet and mobiles) during emergencies (be they natural disasters or
possibly violent political emergencies), often lives depend on the use
of communications platforms to coordinate emergency response.

During the possibility of election violence these platforms allow
people to report on and document violence. Shutting down communication
platforms can allow atrocities to happen in the dark.

Kenya faced similar problems with internet and ICTs in the 2007
elections. Many used the internet and ICTs to expose atrocities. Hence
the birth of Ushahidi a platform used to aggregate and amplify (not
shut down) communications in emergencies, so as to save lives, and to
document atrocities.