[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:20:09 EAT 2012

I did read the post and look at the diagram.  Unless of course I've
been thrown adrift because it all seems obvious.  Like telling a
famine stricken community "Hey, you fools - all you need to is eat!"
Not sure if that makes sense.

My reading is this:

1 - Linus is concerned that if we migrate abruptly, there are still
many TV users who will not afford a set top box/decoder. Which is true
and fair enough.  I do not see that as shocking or illustrative of
lack of understanding.

2 - I'm not sure its their concern, even under CSR, to acquire set top
boxes for those without.  In which case the mobile operators too
should have been implored under so called CSR to provide their
(600-700k) subscribers, who had fake phones, alternative handsets so
they can continue to make revenue from them.   I suppose then that
EABL, under similar CSR rules, should subsidise the hefty fines (under
the new traffic laws)  the police impose on their consumers for
driving under the influence :-)

3 - The matter also extends to the "digital dividend" - in so far as
freeing up spectrum (I think in the 700-900Mhz range) which can be
used for 4G.   So I think overall its a delicate matter and the real
question is: Do the people need high speed data NOW or can we mark
time, allow for decoder acquisition, etc etc then switch to digital
later?

4 - The other pertinent question has been raised in the original
thread - why did the govt, knowing it planned to switch to digital at
a certain date, not stop the importation of analogue TVs two-three
years ago and start facilitating low cost set top boxes?  Similarly,
with the fake handsets issues.  I personally believe the govt SHOULD
have monitored closely the importation of these devices (CCK, KEBS,
etc) and not allow Kenyans to buy them (if we assume each handset cost
1000shs - the est total cost would be abt 700 million shillings ).
So 600-700k kenyans lose that much money and have to spend as much
again to replace their handsets.  In the background, the govt could
have made some revenue on import duty/VAT/etc on these fake phones.
Not fair IMHO.

In an election period, I do not think we should plague the country
with this issue esp if people read "mischief" into it as they are oft
wont to do.

Thx

--
Francis Hook