[kictanet] Under what conditions should we shut down twitter, internet, radio, TV in Kenya?

Baiju Shah baiju at tele2media.com
Wed Dec 5 06:13:19 EAT 2012

There must be a framework within the Kenyan law that outlines what could be done and not done?

If there is a violation it is the right of the authorities either deal with the immediately or the platform provider can comply to the law by self governing as they do for all aspects in running their businesses. E.g. Likes Google and Twitter have created in house expertise / legal capability to build into their systems what one can do and not do by geo location.

The governance / audit in Kenya now should be do they comply with our laws? If not then they should be given 2/3 months to include a layer of business rules that will include for the system / platform provider to comply, where is KEBS :)

Best Regard,

Baiju Shah
Tele2media Ltd
Telemedia Africa Ltd
Tel. +44 7887691570
email: baiju at tele2media.com

On 5 Dec 2012, at 04:46, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Daniel Waweru <daniel.waweru at gmail.com> wrote:
> One case, at least, strikes me as obvious: if you have good reason to think
> that broadcasting material would lead to a direct threat to the safety of
> some other person, then there's good reason not to broadcast it.

That is true, but that is an editorial judgement on the part of the
media house/radio station/newspaper.

If they violate the law, then there MUST be consequences.

If there's
> a means of communication which persistently puts out stuff that meets that
> standard, then there's a pretty good case for shutting it down.

if it is a single radio station for example, then yes, a court could
find them in violation of the law and order them to cease.

That doesn't mean ALL radio stations should be shutdown.

that's is my 2 bob anyway.

--
Cheers,

McTim