[kictanet] Ministry seeks more seats at KENIC

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Aug 17 11:52:05 EAT 2012

It is coming out quite clearly that the very nature of the Public Private
Partnership (multistakeholderism) that KENIC use is now at risk with the
CCK taking over literally. I don't see a very big line between the Ministry
of communications and CCK, they are all cut from the same cloth. If the
ministry cannot influence decision with it's current numbers at the board,
them it seems the latest move is a way of taking total control of Kenic,
with capacity to veto decisions and dictate its stand. The community should
debate and come up with a clear road-map. Since KENIC is a multistakeholder
organisation, using PPP model, to change its status, you must get approval
from the community. Its indeed commendable that the boards position is
inline with the community's aspiration, as noted in the 56th Kenic Board
meeting as it states: "KENIC’s structure is based on multi stakeholder
partnership (MSP) model, touted  for  Internet  governance  worldwide.
 ICANN  and  most  domain registries have adopted this approach. Licensing
and regulation of KENIC by the Commission which is one of its stakeholders
and board members would be seen as distorting this model framework by
elevating government over the other stakeholders in management of these
Internet resources"

There has been talk that the AGM slotted for 24th August (date according to
Business Daily article) is planned to be closed, to lock out the community.
We must first ensure that the AGM us open to all and not closed. Making the
AGM locked means there are people who fear reprisals form the community.
Let's not beat around the bush, KENIC belongs to all of us.

We have been talking about corporate governance for a while. Kenic takes
Ksh 12Million from its account and invests it in a fixed bond in Amana
Asset Management  Company . Reminds me of African countries saving their
foreigh exchange reserves in offshore accounts then getting the same money
pumped back into the economy as loans. Building the KeNIC brand would be
futile with such practices. What does the community think?

Mwendwa Kivuva (lordmwesh)
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels