[kictanet] Ministry seeks more seats at KENIC

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Thu Aug 16 17:30:51 EAT 2012

Dear Ali and all,

If you recall, KICTANet, Drake and KIMA were all invited to serve on the board in
2007, initially as associate members and then admitted as full board
members through a board resolution.

Stakeholders interviewed during the KENIC Institutional assessment
process (April 2012) identified stakeholder's representation as one of
the top 5 issues of concern.

The assessment exercise also found that only 3 of the organisations
represented on the board, (TESPOK, KENET and CCK) had "provided their
organisation's registration documents". In addition, the assessment
noted, "There is a lack of consistency in the documents required of
members and their organisation".

  There was an agreement that it is necessary to implement recommendations coming
out of the assessment exercise, among these are recommendations about
board members tenure of office, appointment, retirement, etc.  We had
hoped to discuss and finalise (implement) this during the August AGM.

Anyway, P.S Dr. Ndemo's statement on BD: "I think the
right question we need to ask is where the term stakeholder is defined
as only registered firms. The Constitution now demands public
participation, which I assume to mean stakeholders," I agree with him.  And at the same time note that who and how many
stakeholders may vary for various organisations as policy, regulatory
and technical environment changes (e.g. several key stakeholders,
normally stay put others may migrate in and out) and as such we must
consider issues such as: Who are the stakeholders?  Who is responsible for identifying
them?  Processes need to be clearly identified and agreed and
followed.  There must be transparency they are important issues for
discussion.

The assessment recommends among other things, definition of "adequate
particulars... after a thorough stakeholder review on importance of
stakeholder, purpose of engagement and expected outcome upon
engagement"

Hope this will be an agenda item for the upcoming AGM and wish KeNIC
all the best.

Best
  Alice