[kictanet] US resists control of internet passing to UN agency

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Aug 3 15:15:57 EAT 2012

Listers

Coming soon after our own local IGFs (Ke & EA), this article adds value to
the very informative and pacesetting discussions we had. Please read on:-

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19106420

*The US has confirmed it would resist efforts to put the internet under the
control of the United Nations.*

*At present several non-profit US bodies oversee the net's technical
specifications and domain name system. *

*They operate at arms-length from the US government but officially under
the remit of its Department of Commerce.*

*There has been speculation that other nations will push for a change later
this year, but they cannot force the US to comply.*

*The US has set out its position in documents filed with the International
Telecommunications Union (ITU) - the UN agency responsible for encouraging
the development of communications technologies.*

*The ITU is hosting a conference in December in Dubai to which
representatives from 178 nations have been invited to review the
International Telecommunications Regulations (ITR)....*

*...But the ITU has made it clear that any changes to the treaty must have
unanimous support, and it would block members trying to put any matter to a
vote.*

*"We never vote because voting means winners and losers and you can't
afford that," Dr Hamadoun Toure, the ITU's secretary-general told the BBC.*
*The ITU conference will take place in Dubai from 3 to 12 December*

*"Whatever one single country does not accept will not pass."*

*He acknowledged that some countries were unhappy with the way Icann had
looked after the internet address system....*

--

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame