[kictanet] Technology and Teachers

Suraj Shah suraj at surajshah.co.ke
Mon Sep 26 08:11:24 EAT 2011

What Japheth has said here is of utmost importance " Technology brings big
leaps in education but teaching remains a teachers role".  As the former
chairman of Intel Corporation, Craig Barrett, once said, "computers are not
magic, teachers are".  The correct way to apply technology training to
teachers is to empower them to embrace technology and bring it back to the
classroom.  It should endeavour to alleviate some of the challenges they are
facing using the traditional method of pedagogy of a teacher-centred
learning.  The 21st Century skills is more of a student-centred learning
where teachers facilitate better participation of students in a class.  This
way even the slow learners who are slow to grasp what comes from a
traditional 'lecture' by a teacher are actively involved in the learning and
learn better, faster.

Intel's training program, Intel Teach has been designed to exactly address
what Japheth has highlighted while taking the novice teachers through ICT
skills.  It is not designed to make ICT professionals out of teachers but to
enable them to use ICT as a tool for their everyday work.

This year we celebrate training 10 million teachers across the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B9cjG41oYQ.

In Kenya we are seeing a lot of impact from teachers and schools who
underwent the training and in the preservice TTCs.

Suraj Shah
Corporate Affairs Manager
Intel