[kictanet] is an e-book a book?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 18:04:18 EAT 2011

Hi,

My son's kindle crashed and Amazon sent him a replacement which arrived a few days ago.

Fortunately the customs fellow accepted that it is a computer device and therefore did not charge duty and VAT but I still needed to pay 6,000/- that was categorised as GOK charges which interestingly do not apply to books.

In my understanding a kindle is a book and therefore it needs to be treated as such otherwise we are shooting ourselves in the leg as we talk about e-books for use in school.

Yesterday at the launch of the Safaricom Cloud both Dr. Ndemo and Bob Collimore both emphasised e-book readers but if the cost of shipping in the readers is hindered by taxes all because someone at KRA refuses to move with the times both this visionaries will remain frustrated.

Regards

Its interested what a free meal can bring out

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200