[kictanet] Freedom of Information laws and records management/More questions

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Tue Oct 25 23:06:00 EAT 2011

I second...

Harry

  _____

From: kictanet-bounces+harry=comtelsys.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke
[mailto:kictanet-bounces+harry=comtelsys.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke] On
Behalf Of Edith Adera
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:10 PM
To: harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Cc: KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions
Subject: Re: [kictanet] Freedom of Information laws and records
management/More questions

Standards for records management are key to ensuring people DON'T keep
records in whatever format they wish!!! What constitutes international best
practice standards for records keeping? Does Kenya have this in place? What
are the gaps? If Wamukoya and his team could point out the main gaps for the
case of Kenya - we can then begin to make progress towards rectifying the
situation. I agree with Harry for suggesting a structure face to face with
clear action plan for moving forward to correct the problems.

Gaitho, "proactive disclosure" may be the way to go for some of these
important pieces of information - that may not be classified as "in the
interest of national security". For e.g. Canada has proactive disclosure on
1) the travel and hospitality expenses of senior government officials and
the legislation requires that these are published on the websites of the
corporations; 2) contracts entered into by the Government for amounts over
$10,000 (with only limited exceptions such as national security); 3)
position reclassifications etc etc.

According to Lit, the main areas to consider when dealing with FOI include:

. FOI response process/system

. Costs of compliance

. Time spent processing requests and

backlogs