[kictanet] Freedom of Information laws and records management/More questions

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 00:53:10 EAT 2011

Great ideas Wamukoya and Dr. Ndemo

Wamukoya, you raise the same concern that Dr Ndemo raised earlier in this discussion on how we manage information. The question that still remains unanswered is: In what formats should this information be stored in?

I agree with you on the need for institutions to have proper structures of managing information and I have in mind institutions such as the Judiciary and the Ministry of Lands.  You are on spot on the need for government bodies to have a systematic approach towards information management. This question needsd further discussion: How do we incorporate records management into discussions about ICT development, e-government and development generally?

Dr. Ndemo, in your contribution, you provide this vital information that the government is already working on data standards for the open data. Could you kindly provide more information on the process, and for example can people (read listers) make input?

You raise the issue that there is need for apps that will make it easier for the public to navigate through and find information they are looking for. Are you tapping on local talent say from the ihub?

Listers, please feel free to discuss these questions and those that have been raised in this debate on aligning records management with ICT e-government and freedom of information, that you feel need elaboration. In the meantime we will start putting together points that have emerged and share once we complete compiling.

Have a great week.

Rgds
GG

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!