[kictanet] On Declining English grammar in our Newsprint

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Tue Oct 11 16:48:08 EAT 2011

I am wondering whether there isn't a deeper problem of which shoddy editing work is a symptom. Can't we say the same of many other sectors? Dr Ndemo mentioned hiring practices and I wonder whether this isn't practiced almost across the board, including ICT.

Our roads crumble almost as soon as they are built; and we have been training engineers since independence. Look at collapsing buildings. At least a misspelled word may not mean life and death.

I could name many, many others like these.

Yet we tolerate it; we still but newspapers with shoddy language; and the companies make money. What's the incentive for them to improve? Why pay costly editing services when you are making money anyway?

And those roads: we still drive along them, mumbling and life goes on; and (indeed) we may even cheer those shoddy workers with loot coming from their short cuts! Kijana wa fulani ametengeneza pesa!

As long as consumers tolerate shoddy work, shoddy work will be the order of the day. And the more this happens the lower our standards go!

Baadaye

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared to face ICT Security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com

"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a workstation…" - Anonymous
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.