[kictanet] Kill technicians at our own peril

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 09:15:37 EAT 2011

Hi,

I had mentioned in a previous post that during the visit by members of NASCOM to Nairobi last month an issue was raised on why Kenyans seem to glorify degrees to the point of a all a nothing attitude.

It was made clear that his could have a major impact on our ability to attract outsourcing business as graduates look at jobs in areas like call centres as stop gap measures and stepping stones to something better which then results on very high turnover and thus reduced expertise.

An article in the media recently, http://allafrica.com/stories/201107260844.html, brings out the effects of upgrading tertiary colleges to universities and the effect on the building sector.  We might assume that this does not affect the technology industry which would be a mistake on our part.

Some of us who are involved in structured cabling are already experiencing problems in getting good technicians who can lay and terminate UTP and STP cable with zero failures, our teams of diploma holders are being snatched by organisations such as the UN.  The crisis of collapsing buildings is coming our way in form of substandard cabling.

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor