[kictanet] Vizualisations on Student Teacher Ratio

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 09:37:37 EAT 2011

Dr. Ndemo,

I believe the best input we as an industry can offer is how to improve the teaching standards with the use of technology to provide solutions to questions such as "how can we enable 100 students who are dependent on a single teacher?"

When I attended the opening of the NI3 centre at the former Kenya Science Teachers College campus I noted a sign that read "Teaching aid development unit" which seemed derelict but I am sure it still has a budget allocation from someone within the ministry of education.

What we need is to find out how such a division can be brought into the 21st century, as there is likely already budget allocated this can be up and running in a few months.   KIE also has resources which can be leveraged upon to improve the delivery of content to the teacher across the country.

We killed the radio lessons programme and blamed it on the costs, I propose that as we work on the revised media bill we include 2 hours per day of relevant educational programming as part of the 75% local content.

Finally daktari, we know the solutions to all these problems, we have sat in multiple forums, seminars and brain storming sessions but we continue to suffer from analysis paralysis action needs to be taken.

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor