[kictanet] Declining English grammar in our Newsprint

Betty Ogange ogange at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 02:15:31 EAT 2011

Dear Harry,

You certainly have your first classmate in me when the centre opens:-)

I wish to add my voice to this thread.I have taught English in high school and in a teacher training college in Kenya.I do agree with those of us who argue that there may be a problem with the 'teaching'. In the typically 'instructivist' system that our curriculum propagates, one might easily deduce that if a teacher is bad, then the student can only be bad. If a teacher cannot score 350 points in an exam, then a student can only score lower. We know that typically, many students do better than their teachers would, and that a bad teacher of any subject is least helpful to a weak student.

With the multiple sources of information increasingly becoming available through ICT, and with the right information literacy skills imparted, students can be expected do better than their teachers in a number of tasks.  If we must keep the teacher as the 'fountain of knowledge', then we must raise the cut-off and get only the best candidates into teaching positions. This has its challenges.  If it is the case that ICTs are gradually changing  the role of the teacher to being what I call 'the learner in charge', then we will need to dedicate our attention and resources to preparing pre-service and 're-tooling' in-service teachers for this new and extremely demanding role.

This calls for  an understanding of the place of ICT in teaching and teacher education in the first instance, and resource allocation for sustained teacher professional development programmes.

That's my take!

Betty Obura Ogange, PhD
Director,  eLearning Centre
Maseno University