[kictanet] On the subject of Kenyan Languages

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Fri Nov 18 06:12:45 EAT 2011

Friends,

A while back there was debate here on the issue of language, expressiveness and global competitiveness.

Kenyan scholars have addressed part of this through a recent publication of Themes in Language, Education & Development in Kenya. A press release announcing the publication is attached.

Like yours truly, the authors take the line that when a language dies is like burning down a granary. Indeed, this is the position of UNESCO when they say:

 “Languages like genetic diversity are essential to all of mankind. If we are to allow languages to become extinct then we are witnesses to cultural genocide. There is value in diversity; the economic health of these people and their communities are connected with how they feel about themselves which is tied to their language and culture. Flourishing communities are wealthy healthy communities …” – Lindsay Robert Marshall talking about, Dozens of Aboriginal languages near death: UNESCO

National cohesion can be achieved via other means and language expressiveness can always improve with growth of vocabulary.

Finally, on this list we tend to lay greater emphasis on economic development compared to anything else; yet a high GDP doesn't guarantee high quality of life. Countries like Norway with low income gap disparities also have a higher quality of life and are a permanent feature in the UN's Human Development Index (HDI).

NB: am attaching an order form in case anyone is keen on ordering the books, copies of which will be available in Kenya in the course of December 2011.

Shukrani.

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared to face ICT Security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com

"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a workstation…" - Anonymous
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.